[asterisk-users] Dynamic DNS asterisk server?

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Sep 21 23:17:42 MST 2006

Hi,

I am hating my ISP (comcast) and thinking about switching.  One of my
options seems pretty good, but doesn't offer a static IP (maybe they
will for extra $).

Is anyone out there running an asterisk server via dynamic DNS and is
this a workable setup?

I know my remote ATA's are fine with doing the name lookups,  but I
wonder if the asterisk server itself will happy behind a nat and a
dynamic IP?

SIP.conf seems to clearly state that externhost isn't a good way to go
and externip is recommended for production environments...  This seems
like it's a problem for dynamic DNS?

Thanks for any experiences and or thoughts on this.
Marty