[asterisk-users] Re: codecs/voicemail/DTMF

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Wed Sep 20 23:57:09 MST 2006

On 2006-09-20 10:23:01 -0700, "Mr. Jones" <worldsense at gmail.com> said:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I'm confused on where I would put this?
>
> I'm also confused on how this would help with external calls (which we
> want to be g729) vs internal calls to voicemail (which appear to need
> to be g711)?

No, calls to voicemail do not need to be ulaw. You can definitely call
voicemail via G729 and use rfc2833 for DTMF.  It works depending on
your equipment.

You are calling using G729 and trying to pass your tones inband, which
is impossible due to lack of bandwidth.

I think using DTMF=rfc2833 instead of auto is your best bet.

Good Luck,
Marty