[asterisk-users] When does Scalability requests Asterisk to U se SER ?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Tue Sep 19 22:18:45 MST 2006

Benjamin Jacob wrote:
> Rushowr wrote:

>> Date:
>> Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:30:06 -0500

>> Ryan wrote:
>>

>>> Can you explain your design in a little more detail? What kind of
>>> hardware
>>> did you use to get over 1k users on a single box and 500 concurrent
>>> calls?
>>> Sounds like a very interesting medium-large scale implementation that
>>> others could learn from.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Ryan
>>

>> I'll do the best I can from memory and without violating
>> confidentiality :)
>>
>> The build was for a startup ITSP and was the first of that scale that
>> either myself or my associate who worked for the client had done. The
>> hardware was something along these lines, but I cannot be absolutely
>> sure:
>>
>> 3Ghz Dual XEON CPU
>> 1GB RAM
>> 2 1Gb NICs
>>
>> I dont remember the hard drive specs at all, but that's more elementary
>> anyway.
>>
>> We initially set up the systems with CentOS 4.2 or 4.3, can't remember.
>> MySQL 4.x (latest 4.x version from summer 2005)
>> Asterisk HEAD (constantly updating and recompiling, at the time the
>> realtime arch wasn't fully in place)
>> MySQL addons package
>> Realtime SIP clients
>> Statically configured SIP "trunks", which provided our PSTN connections.
>> I cannot disclose the company, but the trunk provider is/was extremely
>> huge, a Tier 1 ISP.
>> MySQL CDRs (the cdr addon)
>> User options and feature controls accessed in realtime via a MySQL table
>> designated for the purpose (basically an "options" table, with things
>> like call_forward (y/n) columns).
>> LOTS of custom monitoring done in regards to Asterisk status information
>> Custom PHP/MySQL/Apache web interface for provisioning, configuration,
>> and general administration written by yours truly, including polling
>> Asterisk for the status of a client UA when that client's config is
>> being viewed, provisioning (TFTP) handlers, etc...
>>
>> Hope this is a good start, anything else you want to know, I'll do my
>> best.
>>
>> Also, once I finish my latest ITSP launch project, I'll be able to
>> (hopefully) give a better example, one with failover, custom CDRs,
>> custom LeastCost+BestPerformance routing, etc...etc... Even realtime
>> billing, which the previous client didn't have, AND reseller support at
>> the ITSP level....can't say more yet, but it'll be rather huge I'm sure.
>>

> good stuff mate.
>
> a few clarifications:
> you had static "extensions.conf", realtime "sipusers", etc, right?
>
> Also, abt features like call fwding, etc, which one is better,
> performance wise, using a mysql db, or use Asterisk's internal
> DB(berkeley db, isnt it?using those DBput n DBget ops)??Anyone's got any
> [...]

	I would like to know how you got Asterisk to function with 2500 SIP
registrations.  Did you have qualify enabled?

	What about the 500 simultaneous calls?  How many SQL hits were you
doing (all said and done).  Any performance logs from the SQL server?

	I can't believe you got all this running on one box!

--
Kristian Kielhofner