[asterisk-users] grandstream gxp 2000 does not display nameswhencalling out

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Sep 19 19:33:28 MST 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:12:58AM +0200, Michael Neuhauser wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 16:46 -0500, Lacy Moore - Aspendora wrote:
> > It does matter if they are using Asterisk.  I think we'd all like to
> > know how they are doing it.
> >
> > When I was using the chan_sccp driver, I was able to display that
> > information on the screen.  I'm not sure the SIP protocol in Asterisk
> > supports this (and don't know if the SIP protocol itself supports
> > this).
>
> There is SIP MESSAGE and the application SendText() triggers it. But it
> depends on the phone type (and firmware version) if the text will be
> displayed
> (see http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+SendText).

So, that wiki page not having answered my question: is there in fact
enough power in the not-really-a-programming-language that is the
dialplanning syntax anyway to capture the appropriate information in a
"variable" so it can be handed to that function?

Or is there some other way to do that.

Or (I'll say it softly) is there no way to fo that sort of thing?

That spot in the architecture is the place where I expected to find a
"real" programming language -- not necessarily a specific traditional
language, but something derived from ALGOL, rather than RPG.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_