[asterisk-users] When does Scalability requests Asterisk to U se SER ?

Rushowr rushowr at phreaker.net
Tue Sep 19 05:53:29 MST 2006

Ryan wrote:
> Can you explain your design in a little more detail? What kind of hardware
> did you use to get over 1k users on a single box and 500 concurrent calls?
> Sounds like a very interesting medium-large scale implementation that
> others could learn from.
>
> thanks,
> Ryan

I'll do the best I can from memory and without violating confidentiality :)

The build was for a startup ITSP and was the first of that scale that
either myself or my associate who worked for the client had done. The
hardware was something along these lines, but I cannot be absolutely sure:

3Ghz Dual XEON CPU
1GB RAM
2 1Gb NICs

I dont remember the hard drive specs at all, but that's more elementary
anyway.

We initially set up the systems with CentOS 4.2 or 4.3, can't remember.
MySQL 4.x (latest 4.x version from summer 2005)
Asterisk HEAD (constantly updating and recompiling, at the time the
realtime arch wasn't fully in place)
MySQL addons package
Realtime SIP clients
Statically configured SIP "trunks", which provided our PSTN connections.
I cannot disclose the company, but the trunk provider is/was extremely
huge, a Tier 1 ISP.
MySQL CDRs (the cdr addon)
User options and feature controls accessed in realtime via a MySQL table
 designated for the purpose (basically an "options" table, with things
like call_forward (y/n) columns).
LOTS of custom monitoring done in regards to Asterisk status information
Custom PHP/MySQL/Apache web interface for provisioning, configuration,
and general administration written by yours truly, including polling
Asterisk for the status of a client UA when that client's config is
being viewed, provisioning (TFTP) handlers, etc...

Hope this is a good start, anything else you want to know, I'll do my best.

Also, once I finish my latest ITSP launch project, I'll be able to
(hopefully) give a better example, one with failover, custom CDRs,
custom LeastCost+BestPerformance routing, etc...etc... Even realtime
billing, which the previous client didn't have, AND reseller support at
the ITSP level....can't say more yet, but it'll be rather huge I'm sure.
--
S McGowan
VoIP Consultant
rushowr at phreaker.net