[asterisk-users] amr codec

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Mon Sep 18 00:44:39 MST 2006

On 17 Sep 2006, at 23:04, Net Nut wrote:

> Well this would not be for comercial use.. I just want it for my own
> cell phone to talk on my own asterisk system.
> is that ok?

Probably not. Unless you live in a country where the patent isn't
valid.

You'd have to read the license terms from the patent holder(s)
to be sure.

On the other hand I doubt that they would go after you for a single
channel.

Conversely, you should consult the licensing folks at Digium to
see if adding a module that contains a patented codec is
ok with them.

You certainly can't distribute the result in any way without
breaching the GPL/Digium's license.

Likewise no one can help you building it since you may not
distribute the sourcecode either.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com