[asterisk-users] amr codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Sep 16 19:52:05 MST 2006

Steve Kennedy wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 07:28:29PM -0700, Net Nut wrote:
>

>>I have been searching, but I have not found the answer.. How might I add
>>the amr codec to my asterisk server?
>>I believe I found the amr source from
>>http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/latest/Rel-6/26_series/26073-600.zip
>>I compiled it but did not end up with any .so files like I thought I
>>would need to put it into asterisk.
>>Any pointers on how to get an amr codec into asterisk would be most
>>helpful..
>>

>AMR is patent encumbered, just because the source is available doesn't
>mean you can use it without a license.
>
>Voiceage (at least) run licensing for AMR. It's about $1 per license
>(simulataneous encode or decode) with a minimum of something like $50K.

While the Voiceage licence for G.729 seems to cover you for patent
issues on that codec, their licence for AMR does not. Their patent pool
does not include all those who claim a patent on AMR. So, you need their
licence plus you need to search out and licence other people's patents
too. I assume this is why the AMR licence appears cheaper than the G.729
one.

Steve'