[asterisk-users] Getting 'i' functionality on internal extensions

Anthony Cennami acennami at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 13:46:31 MST 2006

The "i" extension is used for IVR/Auto Attendant type messages.  If you want
to use this for traditional outward dial from internal extensions you should
include some sort of bogon context (to avoid sort order conflicts with the
dialplan, otherwise you would match all extensions)

You will note in your example that you are using the Background application,
which is what the in-context 'i' extension is intended for.

You would want something like this for internal dialing (obviously taking
into consideration any other contexts, the 'bogon' context should be the
last include in any outbound dialing context.

[internal]
include => bogons
exten => 611,1,Answer()
exten => 611,2,Playback(hello-world)
exten => 611,3,Hangup()

[bogons]
exten => _X.,1,Answer()
exten => _X.,2,Playback(pbx-invalid)
exten => _X.,3,Hangup ; [or repoint them to some kind of internal AA/IVR]

On 9/14/06, Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:23:09AM -0500, Eric ManxPower Wieling wrote:
> > exten => _X.,1,Playback(pbx-invalid)
> > exten => _X.,2,Goto(s,1)
>
> OK, I can see that would match anything (and therefore implicitly anything
> less specific than the dialplan).
>
> However, can you explain to me why 'i' doesn't in this case (and does in
> the
> other case)? There is some subtlety that I have missed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Anthony D Cennami