[asterisk-users] 9 becomes 99 ? And other strangeness

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Sep 14 11:57:02 MST 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 10:37:59AM -0500, Rich Adamson wrote:
> Brian Candler wrote:
> >>>
> >>Try replacing the first step above with:
> >> exten => _9.,1,Dial(Zap/4/w${EXTEN:1})
> >>
> >>Note the "w" in the above means wait for about a 1/4 second before
> >>sending the number to the central office.
> >>
> >>Some central offices are not ready to receive digits as quickly as
> >>asterisk sends them out.
> >
> >Interesting feature, thank you, but I don't think that's the problem.
> >
> >Notice that Asterisk's own log shows that it thinks the number called is
> >99XXXXX and therefore dials out to 9XXXXX, where in fact I only dialled
> >9XXXXX and so it should be dialling XXXXX.
> >
> >Console:
> >
> >    -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
> >    -- Executing [9907974XXXXXX at internal:1]
> >    Dial("Zap/1-1","Zap/4/907974XXXXXX") in new stack
> >    -- Called 4/907974XXXXXX
> >    -- Zap/4-1 answered Zap/1-1
> >    -- Native bridging Zap/1-1 and Zap/4-1
> >    -- Hungup 'Zap/4-1'
> >  == Spawn extension (internal, 9907974XXXXXX, 1) exited non-zero on
> >  'Zap/1-1'
> >    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
> >
> >If this were consistent I could use ${EXTEN:2} to strip off the two 9's,
> >but
> >it isn't.
> >

> Try the above an see what the result is. If it does not address the
> problem, at least one item has been removed from the list of
> possibilities. ;)

Without wishing to be contrary: could you explain to me how it could
possibly work?

Asterisk thinks I dialled (on the inbound leg) a number starting 99. After
it has got this wrong number, it then dials it on the outbound leg,
stripping off one of the 9's as that's what the dialplan says.

Adding a 1/4 second delay on the outbound leg won't change the fact that
it's trying to dial the wrong number in the first place.

Regards,

Brian.