[asterisk-users] Getting 'i' functionality on internal extensions

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Sep 14 07:39:43 MST 2006

Hello,

In the process of finding my way around, I tried to get Asterisk to give a
recorded message if an invalid extension is dialled by a locally-attached
phone (FXS port on TDM400P)

Here's what I'm trying:

-------------- extensions.conf --------------
[internal]

exten => 611,1,Answer()
exten => 611,2,Playback(hello-world)
exten => 611,3,Hangup()

exten => i,1,Answer()
exten => i,2,Playback(pbx-invalid)
exten => i,3,Goto(s,1)

The 611 answer works, but the invalid extension doesn't. If you press
something invalid, like "62" or "8", the line is immediately dropped and a
busy tone is played. The console just shows

    -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'

Clearly I'm not understanding something about dialplans here, because "i"
works for incoming calls on the FXO line: for example, I can add the
following to extensions.conf

[incoming]

exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,2,Wait(1)
exten => s,3,Background(enter-ext-of-person)
exten => 1,1,Playback(digits/1)
exten => 1,n,Goto(s,1)
exten => 2,1,Playback(digits/2)
exten => 2,n,Goto(s,1)
exten => i,1,Playback(pbx-invalid)
exten => i,2,Goto(s,1)

and it behaves as expected. (That was taken from the Starfish book, more or
less)

This is SVN trunk, under CentOS 4.4. Any hints as to what I've missed?

Many thanks,

Brian.

P.S. Supplementary question. When Asterisk hangs up (for example, after
playing the "hello world" message when the user dials 611 in the above
dialplan), I get a busy tone. Can I change this, e.g. to silence, or Number
Unobtainable? Or, can I start again with a fresh dialtone?