[asterisk-users] g729 problem

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 14 04:29:02 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 11:05 +0200, Benoît Mérouze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had exactly the same problem with trixbox and asterisk 1.2.11. That
> looks to be a bug in this release of asterisk. When using one channel
> with one license, I had the message "Out of G.729 Encoder Licenses!" (in
> /var/log/asterisk/full).
> And once the call finished, the command 'show g729' indicates the
> licence is still in use (but there is no active channel ...).
>
> I've upgraded to zaptel-1.9.1 and asterisk 1.2.12.1 and I have no more
> problem !

The issue of one way audio with g.729 on Trixbox with the (then) latest
Asterisk packages that the original author reported is not caused by a
bug in Asterisk itself. Afaik it's caused by a shortcoming in the Digium
g.729 codec. Apparently the g.729 codec does not have it's own PLC which
causes one way audio if they are used with an Asterisk release that uses
the SIP JitterBuffer from http://www.asterisk-backports.org. Trixbox
Asterisk packages use this SIP JitterBuffer so have the issue when using
g.729.

The latest packages as seen on http://www.laimbock.com/asterisk/ have a
solution for this problem by offering two different Asterisk rpms where
one of them does not have the SIP JitterBuffer patch applied. So if you
want the latest and use g.729, get the packages with "NoJB" in the name
and you should be ok.

Regards,
Patrick