[asterisk-users] Asterisk as a B2BUA and/or a FXS-SIP gateway?

AK 4asterisk ak4asterisk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 15:40:44 MST 2006

Hi All,

This is my first email on this list so not sure what the protocol out here
is. Anyways, I am trying to configure Asterisk in such a way that it would
act more like a B2BUA rather than as a PBX. My customers get SIP service
from their service providers and have planned on installing SIP soft phones.
I was wondering whether one could configure Asterisk such that all requests
coming in from the SIP phones on the LAN could be routed to an Application
Server in the SP's network. Of course some intelligence would reside in the
Asterisk but it would use the softswitch as its Proxy/Registrar/Feature
server. In case connection to the SP goes down, then Asterisk would take
over to provide basic functionality. Also using some FXS and FXO cards some
kind of a fall back could be provided. Has anyone tried this out?

- AK