[asterisk-users] Features.. phone vs. asterisk?

Nick Ellson grimm at nickellson.com
Tue Sep 12 06:33:30 MST 2006

I tried a lot of SIP and IAX softphones looking for ones I liked, noticing
some have certain features and others did not. For things like call
transfer, call park, group pick-up, line presence, and all those kinds of
extras I have a bit of confusion on where it is implemented?

Are these functions that Asterisk handles and the phone just "triggers"
them with some out-of-band signal or DTMF sequence? Or does some of this
rest on the phone itself? (Here is where I would love TFM to R. :) Just
having a hard time finding what to read.)

Nick

--
Nick Ellson
CCDA, CCNP, CCSP, CCAI,