[asterisk-users] PRI: sometimes Asterisk drop calls

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Sep 12 05:44:22 MST 2006

Steve Davies wrote:
> On 9/12/06, Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com> wrote:
>> Steve Davies wrote:
>> > For the curious, can anyone tell me how this flag fixes the issue? - I
>> > have seen the error before, but always assumed it was related to hung
>> > channels.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Steve

>> If memory serves correctly, I believe the parameter was added a couple
>> of years ago as a means / workaround for hung channels. At the time,
>> there was not any overwhelming evidence as why a channel would
>> occasionally hang. Some of the possibilities included unusual
>> interaction from the opposite end of the T1/E1, anomalies in the
>> dialplan, etc.
>>
>> Now that a substantial amount of work / changes have been made relative
>> to PRI's and other internal asterisk code, there appears to be less of a
>> need to reset.
>>
>> A reasonable approach might be to apply the parameter and pay close
>> attention to channels that might be in some strange state. If none are
>> observed, then leave it.
>
> Thanks for that. I have a customer who is using Asterisk 1.0.x, and I
> am tempted to backport this fix from the 1.2.x code where it was
> introduced.

 From a personal perspective, I think I'd hold off on the back port and
devote that time towards testing the soon to be released version (now in
Trunk).

If you've watched the number and type of changes that have gone into SVN
Trunk in the last couple of months, it appears as though a significant
number of possible memory leaks, sip code, infrastructure code, PRI code
changes, etc, have been applied that would be beneficial for all
production systems. There also appears to be a fair amount of work that
will be needed to upgrade dialplan syntax (etc) for the new release.

Best guess is that once the Trunk code gets past the beta testing phase,
it will likely be the asterisk code of choice for most/all production
systems.

Consider the above is only my $0.02 worth. ;)