[asterisk-users] What don't I get about SIP?

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Sat Sep 9 05:51:54 MST 2006

> Actually, as soon as you hit 8 you will get the fast busy.
>
> Is that your full dialplan? What about an emergency (911) or
> other N11 calls? What about direct dial international calls (011...)?

Its my full "test" dialplan for now.  I do get fast busy as soon as I hit 8,
so that part works.

> So, it looks like what you want is a global dialing timeout
> in the phone, which the Polycom phones don't appear to have
> once you break dialtone. But you may be able to kluge the
> digit timeout to give you that feature if you don't need it
> for what it is meant for. Right now you are using it to
> timeout when a digit other than 1 is pressed after the 9.
> That isn't really necessary (unless 91 followed by 9 digits
> is actually a valid number for whatever you are doing with
> it). Also, you are using the brackets unecessarily, since you
> only have one digit within them. An equivalent dialplan that
> doesn't use the digit timeout feature would be:
>
> <digitmap dialplan.digitmap="7xx|9[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|91xxxxxxxxxx"

Fair enough, but that doesn't solve the original issue, but it makes my
kludge a bit better

[lots of good info removed]

> Note that asterisk may possibly respond with error code 484
> if the sequence pressed isn't complete, which would make the
> phone continue to ask for more digits. So, the other part of
> the solution is to add:
>
> exten => _X.,1,Congestion()
> That will match anything that doesn't match one of your valid
> extensions as long as it is two digits or more. So you still
> will get the behaviour you don't like if someone just presses
> 7 or 9 and nothing else. But it will give you most of what
> you want, assuming I understand what you are looking for in
> the first place (you could try x.T in the digitmap and _.
> in extensions.conf, but _. is likely to cause other problems).

Did I misread the Asterisk wiki pages, because I believed that when a
pattern was present, the pattern takes precedence over any "real"
extensions? (i.e. if I have both 1234 and _1XXX as extensions in a context)?

Thanks John, I appreciate all the info.

Mike