[asterisk-users] MSSQL connection

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Fri Sep 8 23:46:06 MST 2006

On 9 Sep 2006, at 00:42, Kevin Smith wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am looking to log CDR records to our MSSQL database for further
> examination on the records. From what I gathered from the wiki I
> have to choose between FreeTDS and unixODBC. Is there a better
> choice? Which option would be better in the log run?
>
> Also configuration asterisk to use both modules. Any good tips on
> that, I followed the steps provided by the following pages:
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/FreeTDS
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+app_dbodbc
>
> But this is the error I get: (note: some information has been
> changed for security, such as 'user' and pass was changed to phone)
>
> # isql -v MSSQL-astersik phone phone
> [S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source
> [28000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Login incorrect.
> [][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'phone'.
> [][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in
> login 'cdr'.
> Login fails.
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>
> from odbcinst
> [MSSQL-FreeTDS]
> Description     = FreeTDS ODBC driver for MSSQL
> Driver          = /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so
> Setup           = /usr/lib/libtdsS.so
> FileUsage       = 1
>
> from odbc
> [MSSQL-asterisk]
> description     = Asterisk ODBC for MSSQL
> driver          = MSSQL-FreeTDS
> server          = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
> port            = 1433
> database        = cdr
> user            = phone
> password        = phone
> tds_version     = 7.0
> language        = us_english
>

> Maybe I am just overlooking something or there is something that
> isn't registering with me that is under my nose. Any help would be
> appreciated. My guess is it is an error between the keyboard and
> chair  ;).

We have just been through this - but with Oracle - and came to the
conclusion that
we didn't want to tightly couple asterisk with the DB, we felt it
could be a performance
hit - on both sides - plus it meant allowing ODBC traffic over a
network we couldn't
secure.

In the end we got a script written that reads the Master.csv file,
turns the new
data into XML and does an HTTP Post of the data to a web service running
on the Oracle system which parses the XML and inserts the records in
the database.

We plan to run the script every few minutes (from cron).

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.com