[asterisk-users] Re: Softphones IAX vs. SIP, remote connectivity.

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Sep 7 20:42:57 MST 2006

On 2006-09-07 06:07:09 -0700, Nick Ellson <grimm at nickellson.com> said:

> Bruce,
>
> I *just* tested the XtremePhone, IAX2 softphone. Other than trying to
> figure out how to get it to send proper CallerID to the other phones,
> it worked right off, in both directions. Excellent!
>
> Perhaps working the IAX2 angle will be less of a hassle, I will go
> looking for one that does video now.
>
> Maybe it's time to buy an IAX2-ATA adaptor and see how well that works
> over the net.

I am using the AG168V ATA which I bought from Atacom.  This device is a
good working IAX ATA, that also can be flashed to an SIP image.

I have two of them, both work well, and have not had major issues.
There does seem to be a slight audio artifact (a crack) from time to
time in the IAX mode,  but it isn't a show stopper.

Marty

PS Atacom did have to RMA one of the above. It was flakey out of the
box, but they did so quickly and without hesitation, even though the
problem was intermittent.