[asterisk-users] Softphones IAX vs. SIP, remote connectivity.

Nick Ellson grimm at nickellson.com
Thu Sep 7 04:48:11 MST 2006

Hey all,

A previous annoyance with not being able to call out to my brother on FWD
from my Asterisk system had me thinking that since I have my own PBX, and
that system has it's own 1-to-1 static NAT to the internet, I should be
able to act as the provider for him or any of my family, and have them as
local extensions of my PBX, right?

So I took my laptop to work (using the X-Lite SIP softphone) and watch my
ACL logs on my router for any denies to my Asterisk box. As expected
udp/5060, then once that was open, a series of randomish udp/10000+
requests. My phone registered, and I tried to call one of the phones
behind a PAP2. Worked first shot, and just as clear and responsive as it
was when I was home. But, the phones at home could not call me, they when
to voice mail.

I had heard that SIP doesn't survive NAT all that well, and that IAX
native phones do a better job. My question is, given my description of how
I am set up and what I am trying to accomplish, should I be looking at SIP
or is IAX a more robust choice? (I was hoping to get video working as
well, h.263 I believe it is).

Nick

--
Nick Ellson