[asterisk-users] Digium G.729 codec binaries updated

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Sep 6 15:23:09 MST 2006

As of a few minutes ago, the Digium FTP servers at ftp.digium.com contain a new set of Linux X86-32 and X86-64 G.729 codec binaries, along with a new registration utility.

The new codec binaries were produced using GCC 4.1, and are more highly optimized than the previous versions. In addition, there are now versions for both Asterisk 1.2 (and previous releases) and the soon-to-be-released Asterisk 1.4. Yes, this means that those of you wanting to test SVN trunk Asterisk with G.729 can now do so :-)

There is no need to download or run the new registration utility if you have existing registered licenses; the new utility is just a complete rewrite that uses HTTPS instead of a proprietary protocol (so that it behaves better behind restrictive firewalls) and also supports registration of other Digium products besides the G.729 codec. It is, however, the utility we will want users to use for registration of new licenses in the future, or re-registration of existing licenses when their Host-ID has changed.

Note that the 'unsupported' codecs for FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Linux/PPC have not yet been updated, nor have we produced a new registration utility for those platforms. Once the new Linux/X86 codecs and utility have been out there for a while are known to be working properly (as they already appear to in our internal testing) then we can try to make some time to get the unsupported versions updated as well.

Thanks for supporting Asterisk!

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer