[asterisk-users] What I always get asked in SME * deployments

Eric Bishop asterisk.eric at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 22:18:57 MST 2006

When ever we do a roll out of Asterisk in a small business environment
replacing an old key system or legacy PBX the receptionist always asks us,
"How do I know if someone is on a call before transferring them?". My
typical answer is "why do you need to know, just do an attended transfer and
if they can take the call they will, if they can't just tell the caller the
person is busy". If the receptionist insists on "knowing" we give them FOP.

Has anyone out there devised a better way to let a receptionist "know if
someone is on a call"?