[asterisk-users] Asterisk server crashes after two years

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Sep 2 05:36:23 MST 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:40:50PM -0600, Michael Welter wrote:
> My Asterisk colo server has been up for almost two years.  Today it
> crashed.  When I gave the reboot command, it crashed so hard that it had
> to be power cycled.  I wasn't in attendance, but I can speculate that it
> had a kernel panic during the shutdown.
>
> Yesterday I added a PHP agi script, and it had been user over 1000 times
> before the crash.  I don't think the Linux/Asterisk crash is coincidental.
>
> Can someone give me things to look for?  I'm watching memory, and it has
> 750MB free (out of 1GB).  When I restart Asterisk, I see 19
> processes--is this normal?

Is this kernel 2.4? If so: do they happen to have exactly the same
memory size and the same files open? If so: this is normal: threads of
the same process.

> What else should I be doing to narrow down
> on this problem.

One way to get a (huge) trace:

strace -f -o path/to/log/file command to start asterisk

Also try starting asterisk without -p, if you normally start it with it.

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com     http://www.xorcom.com