[asterisk-users] What does 'trunk' mean in outgoing and incoming?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 1 17:42:08 MST 2006

I'm configuring a Sipura SPA-3000 to go with my existing and working
Asterisk 1.2.5 setup.

The Sipura configuration files give an extension context [201] in
sip.conf with the instruction "This goes into the Incoming settings for
your Trunk".

It also gives a extension context of [pstn-spa3k] in sip.conf with the
instruction "This section goes into the Outgoing Settings for your Trunk".

What does 'Incoming' and 'Outgoing' settings for your trunk mean?
Where do trunks live and what are they meant to do?

In my setup I have in sip.conf a [telasip-gw] context that references a
context=telasip-in in extensions.conf.

In extensions I have a [telasip-in] and [telasip-out] context.

Which if any of these are 'trunks'?

The Future of Telephony doesn't say much about trunks.

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux