No subject

Tue Sep 5 14:32:44 MST 2006

(which I'm getting the model numbers) to someone (maybe at Digium).  At
this point I keep getting all of the disclaimers about "not
distributing" the key.

Here's my idea.  People write programming software and sell it all the
time, right?  If the key is embedded in the program, it's fine, so long
as it doesn't give it out.  So, could we build a key database (or use
the regular database) and modify the ADSI parser to understand:

SECURITY  AASTRA_PT480_KEY

or

SECURITY database/adsi-keys/aastra_pt_480

with a *descriptive* README.ADSI that notes the built-in keys and the
way to order appropriate phones?   The goals are:

1.  Anyone should be able to read the README.ADSI and order the right
phones.
2.  The key should be embedded in such a way that it isn't exposed to a
casual user.
3.  The ADSI phone companies are satisfied with that despite the code
being available in public CVS/tarballs.

Another option could be having a networked Asterisk ADSI Key server.
Basically toss on a Terms of Use that will allow a one-time connection
to download the key for programming purposes (thus not violating any
GPLing with limited licensing and spreading around the NDA on *just* the
key, not the whole software package).  Even a web-page with a
click-through NDA (although I've been explicitly asked not to post it on
web media if anyone should give it to me).  This solution is probably
the cleanest legally (no worries about conflicts with the GPL, the NDA
is still preserved in whole).

No matter what we do, we need to be reasonably (and more importantly in
documentably--in case the lawyers show up later) upfront with
Aastra or any other ADSI phone company.  Our ability to program these
phones, I feel, is critical to the ability of Asterisk to compete with
other PBXs.  A PBX with a limited handset is not very competitive.  It's
the number one reason most of my clients haven't gone with Centrex.
Heck, Sayson is in the *business* of one-time programming ADSI phones
to be preprogrammed so that Centrex and the like appear more like a
"real phone system".

My company is getting a VAR relationship with these guys since we're
trying to sell these things (we're Dunn-Bradstreet listed and stuff so
it makes it a bit easier).  We're willing to sell them if there's enough
interest.  Obviously it would be nice if Digium were to do the same, but
if its too much work, I've gotta eat too.  ;)

No firm prices yet, but I suspect we could offer these for around $125
per with volume discounts (pretty much what the upstream gives us).

One thing's for sure, before any of you order these suckers, you need to
know EXACTLY what you're ordering.  From what I've been able to figure
out, they have about ten different models of each phone and there's no
way to know which is which externally (without a very cryptic product
code that can only be deciphered with a very large segment of phones).

Jayson