[SPAM HEADER] - Re: [asterisk-users] Snom or Cisco Phones? - Email found in subject

Cory Andrews cory at voipsupply.com
Tue Oct 31 16:48:24 MST 2006

I concur with Conrad.  Cisco phones were retrofitted for SIP, whereas
Snom phone are built around, and expressly for, the SIP standard.  To be
in compliance with Cisco regs, you are also supposed to have a SIP User
license and a Smartnet contract for each phone if you abide by their
program.  I realize it is not difficult to obtain the SIP firmware, but
if you were dealing with a Cisco authorized VAR, they are supposed to
sell you the SIP User license and Smartnet, which allows you to obtain a
CCO login and access Cisco firmware files including SIP.  Legitimately
licensing and Smartnetting your phones adds $150-$200 per seat depending
on how far up the food chain you are.

Cisco is the industry leader in terms of market penetration with their
IP handsets, and it's not a coincidence that you see Cisco phones and
other products prominently features in television shows and movies.

I think Snom made great strides in terms of aesthetics with their
product line moving from the Snom 190/200 series, which had a look and
feel I would describe as "european", to their newer 300/320/360 series
handsets, which have a look, feel and ballast more suitable for the US
marketplace.

Cory Andrews
e - Cory at VoIPSupply.com
m - 716.907.4059