[asterisk-users] Architecture for Asterisk

Olle E Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Oct 31 03:02:01 MST 2006

31 okt 2006 kl. 06.34 skrev jezzzz .:

> Thank you for the link. Chapter 8 was most useful in explaining the
> different types of connections (user/peer/friend) as well as the
> register function such that users may know how to contact another
> user. However I'm looking for something more specific. For
> instance, for a normal session termination (i.e. BYE), user1 would
> send msg BYE to proxy who would then forward it to user2 who would
> then close the connection. For a cancel request the following
> messages are exchanged:
>
> u1 -> proxy:     invite
> proxy -> u2:     arp request
>

> In this scenario for instance (where user 2 closes the connection),
> where does Asterisk fit in? If at all? Does Asterisk behave as the
> proxy?

In an Asterisk scenario, you would have two different calls, one from
u1 to Asterisk, one from Asterisk to u2.
We never forward any SIP messages, like a SIP proxy. If u1 hangs up,
we decide to hang up our call to u2,
but those are two different SIP dialogs.

Remember that Asterisk is a multiprotocol PBX. The connection to U2
might be using a different signalling
protocol, like ISDN PRI.

/O

---
* Olle E. Johansson - oej at edvina.net
* Asterisk Training http://edvina.net/training/
* Next training: Stockholm, Sweden, November 13th!