[asterisk-users] Architecture for Asterisk

jezzzz . jezonthenet at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 22:34:08 MST 2006

Thank you for the link. Chapter 8 was most useful in explaining the different types of connections (user/peer/friend) as well as the register function such that users may know how to contact another user. However I'm looking for something more specific. For instance, for a normal session termination (i.e. BYE), user1 would send msg BYE to proxy who would then forward it to user2 who would then close the connection. For a cancel request the following messages are exchanged:

u1 -> proxy:     invite
proxy -> u2:     arp request
u2 -> proxy:     arp response
proxy -> u2:     invite
proxy -> u1:     trying
u2 -> proxy:     ringing
proxy -> u1:     ringing
u2 -> proxy:     ok
proxy->u1:       ok
u1 -> proxy:     ack
proxy -> u2:     ack
<exchange data>
u2 -> proxy:     bye
proxy -> u1:     bye

In this scenario for instance (where user 2 closes the connection), where does Asterisk fit in? If at all? Does Asterisk behave as the proxy?

Thanks,

jez