[asterisk-users] Realtime in the Real World

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Mon Oct 30 08:46:44 MST 2006

We are hosting multiple companies with Asterisk.

For a high degree of control, each company has many contexts that are included from a main context. I had wanted to use realtime, but realised very soon that it didn't scale. For each context that you put a realtime switch statement in, Asterisk has to go and query the database. If you include 10 contexts, and each one of those has a realtime switch, than that's 10 times that Asterisk has to query the database, for a single call. Combine this with the bizarre behaviour Asterisk has of making the same query several times for a call (why does it do that?) and you have an inordinate amount of queries. I wouldn't like to combine that with several hundred simultaneous calls.

Is this really a problem as I see it, or am I missing something?

Doug.