[asterisk-users] ISDN-BRI issue

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Sat Oct 28 03:31:08 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen ha scritto:
> Works fine with Junghanns' cards.
>
> One simple thing for you to test: set one port in TE mode and one port
> in NT mode (move all 5 jumbers of that port to the other position to get
> it into NT mode). Then try to make a loopback connection (using a
> standard ethernet cable). Here you control both ends and thus there are
> less configuration pains.
>
> One thing that could be wrong is if both sides do not agree on the line
> settings.
>
> Where do you connect to? What do you have on zaptel.conf ? On
> zapata.conf?

The very first test I did was to set a loopback between
two spans (one in nt mode, the other in te mode).
I wrote a small script to setup calls between the span
continuously, and... guess what?
I let the system run for 4 hours, place about 20.000 calls
with no problem at all.

Unforutnately, as soon as I connect the spans in te mode
to Telecom Italia's NT1 lines, after a random time (from 15
minutes to 1 hour) and a random number of outgoing
calls (the first 30 calls gets routed with no problem),
one or more spans begin reporting
"Layer 1 Down".

I tried to do a "bri intense debug span <x>", all I see are
SABME packets sent from the card to the NT1 line, with no UA reply,
but INCOMING CALLS ARE WORKING ANYWAY!!

The most strange thing at all is to be on the phone
speaking with someone,
on the very same line which bristuff is complaining about,
in the very same moment in which bristuff is reporting "layer 1
down"...

This does not happen only on my line.
I saw it with my own eyes on 3 different asterisk boxes
with 3 different Junghanns quadBRI, on 3 different PC
(IBM/HP), on 3 different sets of ISDN lines (p2p, p2mp...)

Just fyi, here's my really simple zaptel/zapata config
(btw, I think I've tried all n! permutations of parameters
for over two weeks...):

bristuff 0.3.0-pre-1v, asterisk 1.2.13, zaptel 1.2.10, libpri 1.2.4

zaptel:
loadzone=it
defaultzone=it
span=1,1,3,ccs,ami
bchan=1-2
dchan=3
span=2,1,3,ccs,ami
bchan=4-5
dchan=6
span=3,1,3,ccs,ami
bchan=7-8
dchan=9

zapata:
language=it
switchtype=euroisdn
pridialplan=unknown
prilocaldialplan=unknown
resetinterval=never
priindication=outofband
callprogress=yes
usecallingpres=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
echotraining=no
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
group=1
callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1
context=ingresso
signalling=bri_cpe
channel => 1-2
channel => 4-5
signalling=bri_cpe_ptmp
channel => 7-8

Alberto Pastore
B-Press Srl - Gruppo MSoft
P.IVA 01697420030
P.le Lombardia, 4 - 28100 Novara - Italy
Tel. 0321-499508
Fax 0321-492974
http://www.msoft.it