[asterisk-users] [OT] wi-fi ip phone scenario

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Fri Oct 27 08:49:44 MST 2006

Hello everyone.

I know it's a little bit off-topic, but I was just wondering...

Has anyone ever had any experience with asterisk,
a wi-fi meshed lan (with more than one access point)
and wi-fi sip phones?

I made some tests but I'm not really satisfied....
Wi-fi phones are a curse (as far as I know even
Nokia eSeries -I personally own an e70 model- have their flaws):

- random sip registration failures
- ridiculous battery life
- bad audio quality even with optimal radio environments
- crashes, system freezes
- ...
- slow responsiveness to asterisk "qualify" pings (OPTIONS)

but I can even live with that.

The major problem is... roaming between cells.
Is that a dream or something that can actually work?

Unfortunately I have to replace a good old
DECT network (I know it'll never compare to DECT)...

Alberto

Alberto Pastore
B-Press Srl - Gruppo MSoft
P.IVA 01697420030
P.le Lombardia, 4 - 28100 Novara - Italy
Tel. 0321-499508
Fax 0321-492974
http://www.msoft.it