[asterisk-users] RE: ECHO Cancellation in SIP Calls

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Thu Oct 26 20:21:45 MST 2006

You will also perceive jitter as echo

If any links are getting busy and routers or switches have to buffer
you will hear what sounds like echo, not to mention if you have a
high packet loss also

Of course jitter would have to be above 100ms or so to be noticeable

as far as acoustic echo, i have had to put 192ms tail ec on pri
direct from carrier because of so many networks interconnecting and
doing poor jobs and that 192ms is not going to be enough shortly

yes traditionally telco echo originated at 2wire to 4 wire transition
points or on hybrids hence it is usually referred to as hybrid echo
versus acoustic echo which does happen in an all digital call. This
is one thing the better quality phones give you some control of.

I am starting to look at dedicated aec hardware to handle even all IP
calls