[Asterisk-Users] chan_capi and bristuff

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Thu Oct 26 15:16:33 MST 2006

On 23:11, Thu 26 Oct 06, Armin Schindler wrote:
<snip></snip>
> chan-capi-cm (chan-capi.org) is a complete rewritten version of chan-capi
> with more features and as far as I can tell, much more stable.
>
> You do faxing with chan-capi 0.3.5? But this isn't faxing via CAPI, right?
> As far as I know, chan-capi 0.3.5 does not support CAPI faxing.

You are correct. chan-capi 0.3.5 does not support faxing out
of the box. But there's a patch out there that fixes this.
It will add CapiAnswerFax(). This function saves a .sff
(structured fax file) stream to disk which you can run
through sfftobmp and stuff. We create PDF files with some
commandline tools and it's rock stable (2 years without a
missed/corrupted fax on a system that takes like 10 to 15
faxes a week)
Because it's working and we really believe in "if it aint
broken dont fix it" we did not look into chan-capi-cm.

<offtopic>
My personal view on things: avoid PSTN/ISDN connections
where possible and go with ITSP services. sangoma, quadbri,
capi, tdm,... they all caused headaches where IAX simply
works. Off course faxes wont work really good with ITSP but
most of them have fax2email and email2fax.
This is from a viewpoint of office PBX integration etc, not
from ITSP viewpoint
</offtopic>
--

Michiel van Baak