[asterisk-users] Re: Choice of soundfile format

Steven asterisk at tescogroup.com
Wed Oct 25 04:59:55 MST 2006

By the OP reference to wav or gsm, I assume he is talking about the VM recordings.

Sorry, I do not have the answer though.

Steven

http://www.glimasoutheast.org

"Conrad Wood" <asterisk-users at conradwood.net> wrote in message news:1161768572.3203.21.camel at trivial.lemon.localdomain...
On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 11:24 +0200, Jon Schøpzinsky wrote:
> Hello
>
> What soundfile format, is the one that uses least transcoding during playback?
> As I can see, I can choose wav or gsm. What sucks least cpu power, during playback to example a Zap channel? I would guess wav,
> but is this correct?

The one that is encoded in the same codec as the codec of the channel.
On zap it's often alaw or ulaw so you can encode your files like that.
You can encode the same file with different codecs and save it with
different extensions (matching the codec) and asterisk will pick the
most suitable one.
If the channel is gsm, a gsm encoded file would be most efficient, as it
doesn't need transcoding at all.

Conrad