[asterisk-users] SIP v IAX2

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Oct 26 10:43:57 MST 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 13:14, Henry.L.Coleman wrote:
> As I understand it the main advantege IAX has over SIP is the number of
> port it uses and therefore its ability to traverse router/switches and
> firewalls

Yes.

> Also the higher number of simulatanious SIP calls travelling through these
> devices adds a higher overhead than IAX with it's single port.
> Personally I like IAX but I there simply isnt enough hardware out there to
> use it exclusively.

SIP also "spreads" the heavy-flow (audio) data around, which can save (some)
time in the connection demultiplexer.  If this actually results in a
significant latency savings or not is something I have not investigated, but
I would imagine that it is not that great a savings for all the trouble it
causes with stateless firewalls and NAT.

-A.