[Asterisk-Users] chan_capi and bristuff

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Thu Oct 26 01:48:52 MST 2006

On 09:39, Thu 26 Oct 06, Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading from www.voip-info.org, i can see that "Junghann's chan_capi is now
> part of bristuff <http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Bristuff> , as of
> version 0.3.0-pre".
> What does that really mean ?
>
> Shall I understand I can share a Junghanns QuadBRI board between 2
> CAPI-enabled software (like a 0.3.0-pre bristuffed Asterisk for instance) ?
> If positive, what are the pros and cons of such solution ?
>
> Except for legacy applications support (and this could be a very good
> reason), I can't figure out myself any benefit using CAPI for HFC cards for
> new setups as those cards don't embed any DSP hardware.

You mixed up 2 things.
The Junghanns QuadBRI board comes with a driver qozap.
This means it's a zaptel device. Not a CAPI device.

the chan_capi is merged with BRIStuff. This means you no
longer have to download and compile chan_capi manually when
you want to use a CAPI board with bristuffed asterisk.

As you can see those two things have nothing to do with
eachother. the quadbri is still a zap card. It's simply more
convenient when you want to support only one version of
asterisk and you have sites with quadbri and sites with CAPI
hardware. (or sites with both quadbri and capi hardware in
one machine)

cheers

--

Michiel van Baak