[asterisk-users] Re: Meetme... No channel type registered for 'zap'

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 10:09:36 MST 2006

In article <645FEC31A18FE54A8721500CDD55A7B6035D0BB1 at mail.oneeighty.com>,
Douglas Garstang <dgarstang at oneeighty.com> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield [mailto:tony at softins.clara.co.uk] said:
> >
> > Doug, it sounds to me like you don't have the /dev/zap device files.
> >
> > Do you have the file /etc/udev/permissions.d/zaptel.permissions and
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/zaptel.rules installed?
>
> Tony, I don't have /etc/udev/permissions.d/, but I do have the other file.
>
> demeter:(acd1)ipt # ls -l /etc/udev/rules.d/zaptel.rules
> -r--r--r--  1 root root 498 Oct 24 15:50 /etc/udev/rules.d/zaptel.rules
>

> > What Linux distro are you using?
>
> I'm using Gentoo Linux, and have been for a number of months. This is the first time this
> problem has cropped up. If I have ztdummy installed, why do I need the device files? Isn't
> that what ztdummy is supposed to do?

I'm not familiar with Gentoo, so I'm afraid I can only help in general
terms.

In fact I've gone back and re-read your original message and found that
I had misinterpreted it, so I'll start from the beginning again. It's
nothing to do with udev or device files after all.

The messages you mentioned were:

    -- Executing Answer("IAX2/xxx.yyy.142.204:4569-2", "") in new stack
    -- Executing MeetMe("IAX2/xxx.yyy.142.204:4569-2", "|||d") in new stack
    -- Playing 'conf-getconfno' (language 'en')
Warning, flexible rate not heavily tested!
Oct 24 16:16:59 WARNING[1732]: channel.c:2597 ast_request: No channel type registered for 'zap'
Oct 24 16:16:59 WARNING[1732]: app_meetme.c:465 build_conf: Unable to open pseudo channel - trying device
    -- Created MeetMe conference 1023 for conference '5000'
    -- Playing 'conf-onlyperson' (language 'en')
    -- Hungup 'IAX2/xxx.yyy.142.204:4569-2'

What you didn't say was whether the conference worked despite those
messages.

When you create a conference, MeetMe tries to create a full Asterisk
channel for the zaptel pseudo device. The two warnings above indicate
that it was unable to do so, meaning that chan_zap.so is not loaded.
If Meetme fails to create a full asterisk channel, it falls back to
opening a file descriptor on /dev/zap/pseudo directly. That's what the
"trying device" part in the second message means. It evidently
succeeded, or there would have been a third error message.

If conferences are working ok for you, you can ignore the warnings.
However, certain options such as 'i' will not work, as they rely on the
full Asterisk channel.

The best solution is to make sure that chan_zap was built when you
compiled Asterisk on this box, AND that you don't have an entry in
modules.conf preventing it being loaded ("noload=chan_zap.so").

To make sure chan_zap is built, you must have built AND installed zaptel
BEFORE you start to build Asterisk.

Hope this all helps!

Cheers
Tony