[asterisk-users] "Fixing the Caller-ID Problem", by John Todd for O'ReillyNet

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Tue Oct 24 12:44:21 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 15:12 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 02:57:38PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > This seems like a piece members of this list would find interesting...
>
> Further down, he notes:
>
> 	The PSTN cannot turn on a dime and restrict ANI/CLID from many
> 	clients using "whitelist" filters. Caller ID manipulation is
> 	used too widely for completely legitimate purposes, and any
> 	firm providing interconnection will almost always ask for a
> 	removal of the ingress filter when sending calls to another
> 	carrier. I believe that a "check-ahead database" that is
> 	consulted before call completion at any/every border is
> 	unworkable as a matter of cost and willpower.
>
> with which I disagree.  In the current regulatory environment, the only
> thing they really have handle on is calls which transit the PSTN, and
> there are *already* rules which restrict what CNID may be transmitted
> across the PSTN by a LEC or IXC.

What's going on Jay... Round 2? (Kidding). I always ponder the stupidity
in this act. How exactly do they expect to enforce this, and how
long/short will it be before I myself take the first strike and sue
either Dell or IBM for not posting the caller ID information from their
outsourced vendors abroad.

I mean really... You expect me to believe your name is John and you're
from Seattle "ven you shpeek to me like vat is my problem vis my
computer? Vell type in v v v dart dell dart com"...

Call me an ass, call me rude... Call me realistic.