[asterisk-users] Asterisk conferencing features

Rosli Sukri roslisukri at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 18:25:34 MST 2006

On 10/24/06, Rafael Marangoni <rafatmb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm new in Asterisk and I hope that my trouble is very simple.
>
> We're implementing a Education Project of a e-Learning system (LMS)
> that uses conferencing (video and audio) over internet.
>
> The e-Learning system will be on GPL license, and for that, we're
> using only free software to implement.
>
> Asterisk is our first choice for video and audio conferencing, and
> making tests, started to implement it.
>
> The questions are:
>
> 1. Asterisk makes sip conferencing? (I know the aswer is yes)

yes, via the 'meet-me' application

2. Asterisk need Digium hardware to do that ? On asterisk handbook I found:

> "Note that for technical reasons, you must have at least one Zaptel
> interface (of any kind) installed in your Asterisk system if you wish
> to use conferencing." (page 7)

it needs it for 'timing'. on freebsd i have manage to install it without a
physical zaptel card, by just loading the module to provide the timing

3. Asterisk make video conferencing?

not yet.. it only supports video call i.e 2 party where as conference
usually means more than 2

4. If yes, anyone have docs more detailed on how to do that?

> 5. Anyone know clients (softphones) under gpl that we can use the code
> to implement on this aplication?

ekiga provides both audio and video capabilities, it is part of gnome. for
windows you can use xlite its gratis software but not gpl

I need asterisk only for internet conferencing, and I know that it's