[asterisk-users] /dev/zap/channel ownership

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Oct 20 06:24:51 MST 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 11:08:09PM -0500, Mitch Miller wrote:
> * is having permission problems accessing /dev/zap/channel.  When I
> look, these devices (everything in /dev/zap) shows root.root for uid and
> gid.  If I start Asterisk from the command line, it runs fine (running
> as Root).  When I start it as a service, I get
> Oct 19 23:02:55 WARNING[10587] chan_zap.c: Unable to open
> '/dev/zap/channel': Permission denied
> Oct 19 23:02:55 ERROR[10587] chan_zap.c: Unable to open channel 1:
> Permission denied

Please see README.udev of zaptel.

Basically, those files are generated by udev. You might as well tell
udev to chown them to asterisk.asterisk (or root.dialout, the standard
on Debian systems)

The default permissions.rules file on Debian Etch now contains:

SUBSYSTEM=="zaptel",                            GROUP="dialout"

A more complete rule would be:

But you may choose to use:

SUBSYSTEM=="zaptel", MODE="0660", USER="asterisk", GROUP="asterisk"

BTW: that line is missing from the udev package in Debian Sarge, leading
to a similar problem to the one described here once the uder decides to
use udev.

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org