[asterisk-users] using asterisk to do remote control functions

marvin horst fivehorsts at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 05:15:37 MST 2006

> Hi
> Im very green to asterisk, and I have been asked if asterisk can be
> used to do remote control, like opening gates etc, say when the user
> dials a predefined number ...
> And what hardware is required ...

We use it in a variety of situations in an industrial setting. We use it for
some control, status checking, and also we use asterisk for overhead paging
when certain alert situations occur.

The hardware I'm using is Opto22 Snap ehternet brains. One of the models I
use is the SNAP-B3000-ENET which can sometimes be found on Ebay. The
hardware isn't cheap but they provide excellent documentation and software
for free, and free training. They have a free linux developers kit which
has, as an example program, a handy command line utility which I use with
asterisk.

If you just want to control a couple of digital points this hardware may be
overkill, but it is cool stuff.

Marv Horst