[asterisk-users] Netgear WGT Flash-fest at Astricon

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Oct 18 21:21:28 MST 2006

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

>     Do you have the necessary components for a serial cable for these
> little guys?  I would like to play with the loader and get a serial
> console...
>
>     If you don't have one perhaps we can work on getting the parts
> before then.

I have one, and also will be bringing the necessary components to build
another one--although I would prefer not to do so just right now--so
that anyone interested can see how the "commercial" one is constructed
on the inside.

I have a beginning programming student who was charged today to
breadboard up a few more of these, and, if he gets good at it, to make
up a few of them.

We're using these things like crazy now in quite a variety of use cases;
I recently added, at a customer's request, policy routing and traffic
shaping capabilities.  They have proven to be quite reliable also acting
as client WISP CPE.  A $90 pair of them provides client CPE, a local
premises AP, and a small-volume Asterisk server.

I built 1.2.13 for it tonight.  Kenny from Digium, a former student of
mine, has implemented a proof of concept "remote training" server on
one, where we use "screen" to provide the student with a way to watch an
expert administrator fiddle with a system's configuration.

They're great fun, and a harbinger of a future direction in "bottom
feeder" telephony, which is the space I inhabit :-)

B.

believed to be clean.