[asterisk-users] Electric usage of a tdm400p

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Wed Oct 18 09:49:06 MST 2006

I set up a similar system on an VIA Epia 5000, and I had issues when I
included the CDROM in the mix.  I had to use another ATX power supply to
complete the install, but then once I removed the CDROM drive I had no
power issues.

I presume you could install the OS with the CDROM drive installed and
the molex power connector REMOVED from the TDM card, then when the OS
was installed and you had network connectivity, power down, remove the
CDROM, add the power supply for the TDM card, then install zaptel etc.

Or just try it and tell us what happens, low power won't break it in my
experience.  Your cdrom drive might have a lower power consumption than
mine.

Moj

Erick Perez wrote:
> Well Im planning to use a mini-itx, a laptop hdd and a 4fxs digium card.
> the mini-itx comes with a 60W DC to DC adapter (80W peak).
> So I need power to manage the hdd, motherboard,the tdm card.
> A disk cable can be made available, but is not present as a factory default.
>
> So My real concern is power.
>

> On 10/18/06, Bob Chiodini <bchiodini at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 11:59 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
>>> Hi people,
>>> When you use a TDM400p with 4FXS i know i need to connect a 12V
>>> connector to power the FXS lines.
>>> Im not good at electric stuff so I ask...If I have a 60W DC to DC
>>> adapter (80W peak) then, how much power will the TDM 400P consume? can
>>> it be powered?
>>>

>> Erick,
>>
>> Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(telephone) in the US the ring
>> voltage is around 90VAC (20 Hz) with a current of 30 milliamperes (REN
>> ~5).  This translates to 2.7 watts.  Assuming a DC/DC converter
>> efficiency of 38% (probably low), you would need about 3.7 watts, per
>> FXS module.  About 15 watts, total.
>>
>> What is the TDM card installed in and is a disk drive cable available?
>>
>> Bob...

Mojo <mojo at horanappraisals.com>
Office Manager, Horan & Company, LLC
(907) 747-6666 x112