[asterisk-users] Asterisk+SER help

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Oct 18 08:21:34 MST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 05:31:52AM -0700, Crazy Boy wrote:
>    I want to setup multiple SIP accounts. How can I do this?

That depends what you mean by "setup multiple SIP accounts".

I'm not a mind reader, but I can think of two possibilities:

(1) You want to have multiple phones on the Asterisk server (registering to
Asterisk as separate "SIP accounts"), and a single sipgate.co.uk link to the
outside world. Incoming calls to your sipgate number should ring all phones,
or ring the phones in sequence.

This is just a question of setting up the dialplan correctly. sipgate.co.uk
is a fine service, and in particular you can place multiple outbound calls
concurrently and have multiple inbound calls to the same phone number (DDI).

In fact, you don't need Asterisk at all; you can just configure all your
phones to register directly with sipgate, which does "call forking" (i.e.
calls to your DDI will ring all registered phones simultaneously). But then
you are limited to sipgate's voicemail etc.

(2) You want to have multiple sipgate.co.uk accounts - so sipgate gives you
multiple DDIs - and have Asterisk register itself multiple times to sipgate.

That's just setting up the accounts in sip.conf and suitable dialplan
config, so that for example calls to DDI 1 ring one set of phones and calls
to DDI 2 ring another set of phones (or whatever it is you're trying to
accomplish by having multiple sipgate accounts)

>    I have
>    installed Asterisk, created Asterisk SIP extensions and registered in
>    www.sipgate.co.uk. Now,
>    what I have to do?

I don't know. What does it do now, and what would you like it to do
differently?

>    1) Am I need to install SER or OpenSER in my server along with
>    Asterisk?

Almost certainly not needed. Pretty much any scenario you can think of,
Asterisk can do. SER/OpenSER can be used if you are doing a large volume of
SIP-to-SIP routing (hundreds or thousands of call setups per second)

>    3) I searched in Internet. But, I didn't find good tutorial for this.

www.asteriskdocs.org, chapters 5 and 6 are all about dial plans.
www.voip-info.org for setting up chan_sip

Brian.