[asterisk-users] Remote UNIX connection, Remote UNIX disconnected displayed every second

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Oct 18 03:03:28 MST 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 04:08:37PM +0200, Giorgio Incantalupo wrote:
> Hi Tzafrir,
> 1) it is provided with asterisk
> 2) it is called by asterisk init script by default (and the asterisk
> init script is provided by default too) so I think/hope it is good enough
> 3) actually I have got nothing else and time is very short

s/safe_asterisk/asterisk/ . Just run 'asterisk' , and you're done.

It is actually less buggy as it has a proper pid file. Currently the
Debian init.d script is buggy for the safe_asterisk case for that point.
There's an open bug which I have no idea how to handle.

Not to mention that safe_asterisk assumes for some reason that you have
a certain tty open (console). Trying to adapt it to run with screen is a
pain. And why do you need the asterisk console in the first place when
you have the logs and asterisk -r? Why generate the extra burden of
verbose logging in the common case?

> 4) I need something to restart asterisk in case of failure

In some cases it will cause more harm. It may cause frequent restarts.

And then again: how do you stop it?

The script is horribly buggy

> 5) many people on internet say to use it

One person on the internet says not to use it.

> I used to launch safe_asterisk directly...maybe this was my error...now

If you launch asterisk manually twice, you won't get a problem. It will
report you that it is already running.