[asterisk-users] Blank page when sending faxes (repost)

Nick Glencross nick.glencross at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 02:34:08 MST 2006

Guys,

[Forgive this repost -- my original posting doesn't seem to have shown
up in the list (yet)]

I have been trying to send a fax using spandsp/app_rtxfax/asterisk.
I'm trying to send a (3 page) fax, and all I'm receiving is a single
blank page (and I've tried it with 2 fax machines).

As some background, I'm using asterisk with an E1 connection through
a Sangoma WAN card -- all of this has been working with voice for over
6 months. The software is all working too from what I can see, I've
got tiff 3.8.2, app_rtxfax 0.0.2_pre25 and spandsp-0.0.2_pre26 with
asterisk-1.2.9_p1 on Gentoo Linux.

I have created a simple test using ghostscript to create a TIFF image in the
correct format. I've enabled debugging in spandsp (and have the caller
argument, which seems to be a common pitfall), and this is what I'm
seeing:

Restarting V.29
Restarting V.27ter
Changed from phase 0 to 2
HDLC carrier up
HDLC carrier down
HDLC carrier up
HDLC carrier down
HDLC carrier up
HDLC carrier down
HDLC carrier up
HDLC framing OK
Changed from phase 2 to 3
HDLC carrier up
HDLC framing OK
HDLC carrier down
HDLC carrier up
HDLC framing OK
NSF without final frame tag
The remote was made by 'HP'
CSI without final frame tag
Remote fax gave CSI as: "00000000"
DIS with final frame tag
In state 10
???:
 3rd generation mobile network
 V.8 capable
 Prefer 64 octet blocks
 Reserved: 0x98
 Supported data signalling rates: V.29
 R8x7.7lines/mm and/or 200x200pels/25.4mm
 2D coding
 Scan line length: 215mm
 Recording length: A4 (297mm)
 Receiver's minimum scan line time: 20ms at 3.85 l/mm: T7.7 = T3.85
 Uncompressed mode
 Reserved: 0x10
 Minimum scan line time for higher resolutions: T15.4 = T7.7
???:
 Prefer 256 octet blocks
 Reserved: 0x80
 Supported data signalling rates: V.27ter fallback mode
 2D coding
 Scan line length: 215mm
 Recording length: A4 (297mm)
 Receiver's minimum scan line time: 20ms at 3.85 l/mm: T7.7 = T3.85
Start sending document
Start tx document
Changed from phase 3 to 4
HDLC underflow in state 3
Restarting V.29
Changed from phase 4 to 6
Changed from phase 6 to 3
HDLC carrier up
HDLC framing OK
CFR with final frame tag
In state 4
Trainability test succeeded
Start tx page 0
HDLC carrier down
Restarting V.29
Changed from phase 3 to 6
Changed from phase 6 to 4
Start tx page 1
HDLC underflow in state 13
Changed from phase 4 to 3
HDLC carrier up
HDLC framing OK
RTN with final frame tag
In state 13
Changed from phase 3 to 4
HDLC underflow in state 2
Disconnecting
Changed from phase 4 to 7
Changed from phase 7 to 8

>From what I can see, this looks plausible, and certainly shows that
there is a significant conversation going on.

The Fax Activity Log shows the comany name that I have set in the
software, and 'OK' as the result, and yet only a blank page was
produced!

I've also created another TIFF image using 'pnmtotiff -g3' and this
has behaved in the same way.

Any insight will be gratefully accepted,

Regards,

Nick Glencross