[asterisk-users] Is 1.2.12.1 production ready

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 14:59:17 MST 2006

> I suspect that for every problem you hear about on the list there are
> probably 100 other happy asterisk administrators.  Not to downplay
> legitimate issues, but many times, instabilities can easily be
> attributed to the OS, hardware or a million other things not caused by
> asterisk.

I agree. However, there seems to be some randomness involved as well.
For example, one of my production machines now has an Asterisk uptime
of almost 8 weeks on 1.2.10. Before that it had a week full of
crashes, typically 2-3 times a day. Same version, same configuration.
I was planning on fixing it, but then suddenly it started behaving
without my intervention, reinstall or anything. Why, is beyond me. I'm
keeping my fingers crossed. So far I've had excellent luck with 1.2.5
-- 8 months of uptime till reboot. No crashes ever.

Still, an 8 week uptime isn't great IMO. The same machine has no
issues running thttpd or qmail for 12+ months without a hiccup. So
it's hard to blame it on the hardware because no other program seems
to crash randomly on the same machine.

--Luki