[asterisk-users] Stopping putgoing calls after working hours

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Oct 17 09:08:56 MST 2006

> I  am trying to find a way to stop people who use phones after business
> hours (a policy the company wants to implement), we have cisco 7940 and
> 7910 phones and sadly they don't have a phone lock password system (on
> these ciscos it locks config menu changes but not the calls but the
> cisco 7920 has this feauture).
>
> So I was wondering is there a way to make this happen in asterisk??

You need to better describe your objectives. If you really mean stop
"all" calls (including emergency calls), that's easy.

If you mean stop all calls that "cleaning folks" initiate (usually not
employees), that just requires some extensions.conf changes to force the
user to enter an "access code" before a call can be placed. (Just don't
advertise that access code anyone that you don't want making calls.

If your talking about a fairly major security issue (such as your users
call forwarding their phones to the brother-in-law after normal hours,
you'll probably need to disable call forwarding on the phone itself.

If your talking about primarily managing expenses, use the CDR detail to
generate a personalized report for each employee show this calls make
between 5pm and 7am, and forward that report to each employee (and cc:
the manager). That's usually enough to significantly cut those calls. If
you don't have a policy relative to use of company assets (phones &
PC's) for personal use, you might put one together and reference that
policy in the morning CDR detail report. (I'm sure at lease some of
those calls are likely legitimate calls, so cutting all calls is not
likely a workable solution.