[asterisk-users] Psst... Top secret information: Codename Pineapple

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Mon Oct 16 06:59:02 MST 2006

Brian Candler wrote:
>> Asterisk = SIP Server, Phone = SIP Client

>> Asterisk and the other server is "peer to peer"

>> Asterisk = SIP Client, Other End = SIP Server
>
> Hmm, but I don't see how these ideas map to formal SIP concepts (RFC 3261).
>
> Phone = User Agent Client (places outgoing calls) and also User Agent Server
> (accepts incoming calls)
>
> But then Asterisk is both of these too.
>
> The term "SIP Client" does not appear in RFC 3261 at all. The term "SIP
> Server" does, in a loose generic way, when they mean "SIP Proxy" and/or "SIP
> Registrar".
>
> Asterisk is never a SIP Proxy, it's a SIP endpoint (UAC/UAS). I think it
> *is* a registrar though.
>
> So what I'm asking is: what's fundamentally different between a phone, and
> trunk, and a service? How does Asterisk treat them differently?
>
> After all, placing a SIP call to a phone (via a dialplan) and routing a SIP
> call down a trunk (via a dialplan) are the same operation, aren't they

These ideas don't map to formal SIP concepts.  Olle's ideas seemt to map
to more "formal Asterisk concepts".  My terms are more generic and try
to map to layman's internet concepts.

Really, a SIP device is a SIP device.  All SIP devices are clients and
all SIP devices are servers.  It's how you USE the device.