[asterisk-users] DID failover

VoIP Street list at voipstreet.com
Sun Oct 15 14:54:33 MST 2006

Todd- Asterisk wrote:
> I'm setting up an asterisk server where an administrator will not always
> be available in case of problems.

**SNIP**

Not sure about your provider but within our control panel we offer our
customers the ability to set multiple devices. Devices are basically
setup as a one to one relationship to your Asterisk servers and or IP
phones, soft phones etc.

So you could setup 2 devices in our control panel or with your provider
if they offer this.

Device 1: Asterisk Server (Primary)
Device 2: Asterisk Server (Secondary)

Each device creates a SIP or IAX username and password and ability for
each machine to register to us.

When it comes to DIDs you can configure them in the control panel to all
point to "Device 1", in the event of a failure on device one you simply
log in to our control panel and repoint your DIDs to Device 2. It takes
approximately 5 minutes for our queue to run and all calls will now flow
from your DIDs to Device 2. At any time you can push calls out through
Device to and terminate to us regardless of when/if you repoint your DIDs.

In the case of getting your internal phones to re-route to the correct
system.. Maybe you could leave server 2 off, pre-configured with the IP
of server 1. If you have a failure, simply turn off server 1 at IP
X.X.X.X if it's not already dead and have someone hit the power switch
to Server 2 which will now be at the same X.X.X.X IP. No IP phone
re-configuration required.

I am sure there is a more elegant solution using a router or something
but, this is just one approach.

So, there are a few ways to skin that cat, just up to you how you want
to go about it.

Hope this helps..

--
VoIP Origination & Termination Svcs.