[asterisk-users] Centos kernel 34 vs. 42?

Robert Jenkins raj at jrw.co.uk
Sat Oct 14 09:25:22 MST 2006

Hi,

I like Centos as a basic platform, but I always then upgrade the kernel to
the latest stable release from kernel.org

The latest ones are using Centos 4.4 x86_64 with kernel 2.6.18

For simplicity, I always start with the .config from the original Centos
kernel.
My install sequence is:

Untar the kernel source in /usr/src/kernels

ln -s /usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.18 /usr/src/linux (changing 2.6.18 to the
version in use...)

cd to /usr/src/linux & do 'make mrproper' to clean out any leftover garbage.
Older kernel versions often would not build if you missed this step, so I do
it by habit now.

Copy the .config file from the last installed Centos kernel directory (under
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.xxxx) to /usr/src/linux

Still in /usr/src/linux, do 'make oldconfig' and just press enter all the
way through.
This should give you a new kernel config matching the Centos distribution.

(If you need anything other than the standard Centos kernel config, make
changes here)

Then do:-
make
make modules
make modules_install
make install

If everything builds OK, reboot and get ready to select the new kernel as
the Grub menu appears.

If it all boots OK, you can edit /etc/grub.conf and change the default line
to 0 so the new kernel is booted in future.