[asterisk-users] Polycom IP 501 phone randomly resets itself (loses Received call log, Missed calls, placed calls)

Mike Garey random51k at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:41:41 MST 2006

> Mike,
>     Is this using PoE, or the injector?  When I've had this happen, I've
> been using PoE, it's been in my wiring, specifically in the cable between
> the wall jack and the phone.  Replacing that cable has always sorted it out
> for me.

Yeah, I actually am using PoE, but there's no wall jack used.. We have
our cables (cat 6) wired directly from the PoE adapter on the phone to
the PoE switch (Linksys SRW224P). We've only got 5 phones hooked up to
it at the moment, but it seems that all the phones are experiencing
this problem.  Looking back on my xferlog file, it shows the phones
downloading files from the FTP server randomly throughout the day,
which would indicate that they're being restarted at this time..  The
strange thing is, not all the phones are reset at the same time..  For
instance, I have in my log a phone being restarted at 2:58 AM last
night, another one at 2:47 AM, another at 1:38 AM and another at 11:30
PM..  I figured all of the phones would be restarting simultaneously,
but that's not the case..

On 10/13/06, Noah Miller <noahisaacmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> These are symptoms of your phone rebooting.  Ring tones will stay,
> ring and call volumes will reset, as will call lists.
>
> What boot method are you using (FTP, TFTP, HTTP, Standalone)?  What
> SIP firmware and bootrom versions do you have?  Can you post you
> sip.cfg somewhere (like http://pastebin.ca/)?

I'm using FTP, and as stated above, I can see that the phones are
being restarted at random times, since the log shows the phones
downloading the ringtones and configuration files.  My SIP firmware is
1.6.5.0043 and my bootrom is 3.1.3.0131

You can take a look at my sip.cfg here:

http://pastie.caboo.se/17510

although it's pretty standard, other than the 80's sitcom ringtones
that I've uploaded ;)

Could it be that my PoE switch is being overloaded?  Here are some
details about the switch and the power requirements of the phones that
I posted in a message earlier this year (the switch delivers 15 watts
per port, the phones only require 4 watts):

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2006-April/149036.html

so as far as I can tell, we should be well within the power
requirements of the phones.

Thanks for the help guys,

Mike